Wednesday 22 October 2014

Places I've been: Inverloch Pt 1 - Structure

Looking all safe in my super-dooper safety vest!

Last weekend I participated in the annual pilgrimage to Inverloch with the first year geology students. This trip combines everything they've studied this semester into one convenient location - fossils, rock type identification and sedimentary rock naming conventions, sedimentary structures and current indicators and basic structural geology. I'm going to present some of the interesting things spotted at the site in the following posts, for now let's look at my favourite - structural geology!


Normal faulting with massive sandstone on the left and mudstone on the right Fault drag locally bends the beds of the mudstone. Slicken can be seen in the sandstone on the left.

Most of the faulting is this region is normal and associated with the failed rift between Tasmania and Victoria which created the Bass Straight.



Shore platform faulting with fellow demonstrator for scale. A majority of these sedimentary beds are sandstone with occasional zones of scour and fill.  The extent of curvature in the sedimentary beds is more evident on the shore platform than in the cliff face. I've outlined the major faults but this region is riddled with them.


A close up of the faulted sandstone - Stay tuned for Park II - Chrono-turbation!







Bonus image - the demonstrating team from 2010 (Chris, Julie, Roland, Kim and I) with bonus beard, knitted and carpeted by my mother for my birthday, it was COLD that day!

No comments:

Post a Comment